Please Click This Before Reading :D

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Devil Bones - Kathy Reichs



Yes! Another Kathy Reichs novel in a few months, to say the least. This work goes by the name of Devil Bones and is one of the two Kathy Reichs novels that I borrowed from our national library.

They had more of her stuff too, but the library only allows 3 books at a time and I'm only given a three-week time limit.

Not to mention exams are just around the corner.

... You can say... I "held back".

:P

That aside, this is the eleventh book in the Temperance Brennan series so I'm kind of "behind" with the up-close-and-personal stuff? But I enjoyed it anyway.

Summarized, this story is about a fresh case and an unsolved one from some time ago. Slidell, one of Tempe's temporary partners, reckons it might have something to do with certain "practices". Some are even talking about Satan worship and magic.

I learnt loads about religion in this one. Voodoo, Wiccan, Christianity, the whole lot. Don't really recommend this for the staunch Christian followers, though. Unless you're open-minded and don't mind these kind of fiction-based stories regarding religion.

Honestly speaking, there are things I like about Kathy Reichs' works and things I don't like about 'em. For starters, I don't like her works because she gets really emotional sometimes. Like, for children who died really young and stuff like that. I mean, yeah, sure, it's sad, but I sometimes think that Tempe's overreacting.

Not to say it's a bad thing to worry and feel sad about young children dying, but... I don't know, maybe I'm just retarded that way. 

In her defense, Tempe had a brother who died when he was really young so I'm thinking that's where the empathy comes in?

Still, just an opinion.

On the other hand, there's quite a distinct difference between her Virals' novels and her Tempe novels. For one, she doesn't use curse words and make her characters swear mid-discovery in her Virals novels. She draws a line between that; like teenagers don't use it as often as adults would (in a certain context. I'm not talking about real life because it's the other way around most of the time). 

Just an opinion, like I mentioned.

Either way, I can say I liked this book. Quite twisty. 

This book can be found in any of your local bookstores. I borrowed this from the national library but I'm sure MPH, Kinokuniya, Borders, Times and Popular would have this book. 

I have yet another to finish and review so this is where I'll leave this :) CIAO!!

P/S: Please click on my Nuffnang ads :) Thanks!!

No comments: