Please Click This Before Reading :D

Monday, April 2, 2012

Hunger Games


 

*Whacks table*

*Bangs head*

*Clutches heart*

I'm hyperventilating, by the way -.-

Alright, so, as we all know, Hunger Games is a movie adaptation of the book of the same name by Suzanne Collins. Which reminds me, I have yet to review the book as well. Watched this not two days ago at Pavilion with my family and although it didn't receive many positive remarks from them, I've got my own opinions.

Why don't we start with the negatives? That way, when I'm writing all the positive stuff, I can feel glad I watched it.

Negative point 1: They take it for granted that everyone's read the book.

Why is it a negative point? Well, for one, because of that, they don't bother explaining much about some of the terms. Example: They never explained how the Mockingjay came about. They think that since many have read the book, it's not necessary to add it in. Truth be told, the Mockingjay is a cross-breed between a mockingbird and a jabberjay (genetically engineered to repeat whatever it hears and was used to spy on the people of the 12 districts). Jabberjays are also all male, which is why they mated with mockingbirds to stay alive when the Capitol decided not to use them anymore.

They did not explain what the sign of respect was, either. You know, the gesture where you put your fingers to your lips and raise them to the sky? Yeah. I had people in the cinema next to me going, "What's that?"

-.-

If you want another example, you know when Rue was dying and she asked Katniss to sing for her? In the book, it was explained that Katniss used to sing for Prim and Rue's district shared the same love for music. But was that ever mentioned in the movie? No. So, wouldn't it seem weird for Rue to suddenly ask for her to sing if people didn't know all that stuff?

Conclusion: Never leave out these important things that clarify situations and describe stuff.

Negative point 2: It is all pretty unrealistic.

I don't mean the whole Mockingjays stuff and the Hunger Games theory. I'm talking about how people die and shit. Take, for instance, Rue's death. She didn't even look dead. The part where she took the arrow out too. The bloody thing was so darn sharp and long. Wouldn't hurt to make it pierce deeper into her stomach or something. Isn't that the whole point of it's length?

And the dog thing? Really? I mean, why did they alter it so much? They were not supposed to look like that. They were supposed to have features of the dead tributes.

Maybe they couldn't engineer it in such a way.

Speaking of engineering, what the f*ck was that fire thing? I know what it's supposed to be. I know it's awesome. I know how it's supposed to turn out. What I'm trying to say is, how the hell did it turn out the way it did in the movie? It looked absolutely fake and... cartoon-y! My family and close friends would know this, but I hate fake stuff. Like even in The Three Musketeers when Milady was "sliding" through the traps. Bloody darn fake.

Conclusion: Try to be a little more real?

Negative point 3: Ending.

This is my personal opinion, really. I think that the ending should have been a little more elaborated. I mean, I wanted to know what else happened! I know President Snow's a jackass, but he was supposed to tell Katniss that he knew, right?

And didn't Katniss tell Peeta the whole love thing was an act?

Conclusion: More elaboration, please?

That's about it for the negative points. Now, for the awesome stuff in the movie.

Positive point 1: Great sound effects.

I loved how everything was made "boom" using sound effects. Like when they were firing the fireballs at Katniss? Cool. I felt like jumping out of the way, too. Haha. But maybe that's just me being weird -.-

Positive point 2: A little freedom was taken with the movie.

For example, in the book, they never really showed Gale being mad with Katniss' "display of affection" towards Peeta in the cave, right? I loved that. I hate Gale, honestly, so I don't really care how he feels unless it's misery. My hate's also partial for the guy 'cause I think he's a bad actor.

Remember, only my opinion.

Positive point 3: I think Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence were pretty good at their roles.

Hutcherson is hot. Who can deny it? Nobody might've noticed him until Hunger Games, but now that he's made his debut role as the star in Hunger Games, he's gonna be remembered. I think he was also a good choice because Peeta Mellark was indeed written as a weak guy. He's a baker kid's son, hello? Never fought in his life, perhaps. So yeah, Hutcherson did good. Perfect choice of actor.

Lawrence was stiff as Katniss, but I take it that Katniss herself is a very passive person, so I'll dismiss that. Her facial expressions were stony, but like I said, Katniss herself is a passive person, so it's understandable that she wants to get into her role well. I love her smile, though. She's awfully pretty and I like it when she laughs. Oh, and when she's with Peeta.

So f*cking adorable.

Positive point 4: Kinda realistic in its own special way.

Like I said, they took a little liberty with the lines and stuff, but I love how they could make it such that Katniss very nearly stabbed Haymitch's hand when he was reaching for the jam or something. I think my heart paused for a mini-second.

Haha.

I also like how Katniss really looked like she was gonna kill Peeta after the whole public confession. Haha. I think Peeta and Hutcherson are all irresistible. So cute!! :P I'm starting to sound really biased.

-.-

Shan't deny it.

Positive point 5: The good parts in the book, they maintained.

By this, I mean some of the lines. They may have edited it a bit, like how Katniss said "I just can't afford to think like that" in the movie but it was never said in the book? But they did keep the heart-clenching lines like after Katniss kissed Peeta and he said, "There's no way I'm letting you go now."

Or something somewhere among those lines.

They kept Cinna's lines too, like when he said, "I'm here to make you leave an impression" and others of the like. We don't learn the names of his other assistants, though -.-

~#~

I mean, all in all, it's a good movie. I like it very much and I'm dying to go see it again. However, as usual, the book is always better than the movie. I originally thought that maybe I should watch Catching Fire first before reading the book, but if they're gonna repeat their mistakes like with the elaboration, then I'm better off reading the novel first.

That's about it, then :) CIAO!!

P/S: Please click on my Nuffnang ads :) Thanks!!

And may the odds be ever in your favour.
-Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins.

No comments: