Please Click This Before Reading :D

Sunday, January 27, 2013

リトリチャ Ep 5

^.^

*          *          *

Question:
What is your most hated opening line in a novel and why? What is the significance?

Answer:
"I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror."

Unlike some people, in a novel, I prefer a positive or neutral opening line when I'm reading. That way, it does not make me feel angry and annoyed. It does little to help that it was written in the first-person point-of-view, which makes it all the more seem as if I really am frustrated with myself at that point of time.

The above sentence is the unfortunate opening line to E. L. James' novel, Fifty Shades of Grey. It had a catchy enough title to the 514-paged book, but reading it took a lot more will than reading any novel should have.

As I suspected, Fifty Shades of Grey told a very sadomasochistic story of a girl, Anastasia 'Ana' Steele, and her sadomasochistic desires to have a sadomasochistic relationship with a very rich, sadomasochistic man named Christian Grey.

That said, I believe writing a negative opening line says very little for a book, in my view, because the author/authoress is telling his/her audience that the book contains a story about a confused and self-deprecating main character. Therefore, if I had to name a book with my most hated opening line, it would be the one from E. L. James' Fifty Shades of Grey.

~#~

All true. My opinion only, by the way. Fans of that smut-filled book may stay fans, but I'm never going near any book of that chronology again.

CIAO!!

P/S: Please click on my Nuffnang ads :) Thanks!!

No comments: