Please Click This Before Reading :D

Sunday, January 27, 2013

リトリチャ Ep 4

Here's another one :)

*          *          *

Question:
Writing from Mr Rochester's point of view, compare and contrast Jane Eyre and Blanche Ingram's characters. Who is the better choice? Why?

Answer:
I still remember my first impression of Jane Eyre: troublesome. I remember her being the cause of the sprain of my ankle. Yet, as I waved for her to go, she finds a reason to stay and help. Her words ring in my head this very moment: "'I cannot think of leaving you, sir, at this late an hour, in this solitary lane, till I see you are fit to mount your horse.'"

Hah! As if I would have needed any help. Nonetheless, her sense of obligation left little room for argument. Yes, I believe I said necessity compels me to make her useful. And of course, I expressed my gratitude with a word of thanks. I am, after all, a gentleman.

Miss Eyre also proves to be of great help to my ward, however much she denies it. She believes she "has done nothing to entitle me to such an acknowledgement", to which I immediately refuted with "I have examined Adele, and find you have taken great pains with her: she is not bright, she has no talents; yet in a short time she has made much improvement." Yes, Miss Eyre falls back on over-modesty as much as one possibly can.

And what of her family? Why, with no parents, no siblings and no place to call home, one might expect a rogue child, yet through eight years in Lowood School, she has managed to become quite the accomplished lady. Although poorly, Miss Eyre is able to play the piano, sew and even sketch.

On the other hand, Blanche Ingram has had the great fortune of having everything served on a silver platter. Her siblings and her have had three governesses; all of which they scorned, and a mother whose personality is the epitome of a doting mother. Lady Ingram is ever so fond of dubbing her Blanche 'my dearest' and 'my best'.

I believe Blanche Ingram also looks down on Adele. She refers to Adele as a 'little doll' and asked where did I 'pick her up?', which, I must admit, I am not fond of because although Adele has little qualities as a lady, she is still my ward.

Unlike Miss Eyre, Miss Ingram had siblings and parents she could call family. She had Theodore, Mary Ingram and Lady and Lord Ingram. They have had much fun teasing their governesses, Miss Wilsons, Mrs Grey and Madame Joubert. Miss Eyre had nothing of the sort.

Quite frankly speaking, although Blanche Ingram would benefit me more in terms of social status and finance, she would bring me lesser joy and merriment than when compared to Jane Eyre. I must say I prefer someone who has tasted the bitterness of poverty and savoured the sweetness of an average life.

Therefore, my affections are for Jane Eyre alone.

Comment: Well-written. Comment also on JE's intellectual capabilities that matches Mr R.

~#~

I am fully aware that I did not provide any similarities although there are plenty differences. I will be sure to work on that :D Hehe.

CIAO!!

P/S: Please click on my Nuffnang ads :) Thanks!!

No comments: