Please Click This Before Reading :D

Thursday, August 9, 2012

テメエ~

~Doth solace cometh with swearing?~

Why do people swear?

I've wanted to ask that for quite some time now.

Actually, no. Rather than 'Why do people swear?', it's more like 'Why do we have swear words?'

Think about it: 'fuck' is just a word, right? It's a verb, meaning to have intercourse, right? So why is it a swear word?

For God's sake, call it what you will: swear word, curse word, bad word, cuss word. In the end, it's still a word.

And, it still boils down to: Why do we have swear words?

Categorising these particular words have made lives miserable all over the world. I, for one, once got slapped for swearing at my brother in the presence of my mom.

F*cking hell, I said.

If I'm going to be slapped and abused with each time I use the word, then why does it exist? Already my brother has insulted me, now I have to endure being wrongfully accused by my parents too?

Justice? I think NOT!

My sister has a friend who once said that you can use whatever word you want to describe a shitty day (e.g. disgusting, repulsive, damning, abominable), nothing has a better effect than 'fuck'.

But why??!

Is the word 'fuck' such a tasteful word that nothing else provides comfort?

I will admit that it IS quite an addictive word. I like to write it. Not type it, hear it, see it or say it. I like writing the word. Don't ask why. It's one of life's great mysteries.

Better left unsolved.

Ugh, I'm straying off-topic again. Where was I? Ah yes.

Picture curtesy of Google Images
Why do we have swear words?

Caring not for the fact that 'fuck' is a nice word, let's move on to the more general ones, shall we?

Why the hell is 'Jesus Christ' a swear word?
Picture curtesy of Google Images
He's the Messiah, right? He's a hero, as far as a fairly great percentage of people are concerned. Why did people make that a swear word?

"Goddamn."

"Freak it."

"Curses."

"Dammit."

"Friggin' hell."

"Heck."

"Bitch."

"Bastard."

And the usual variations and additions of 'fuck'. I didn't even know about 'fuckery' until I was 16, I think. How much more 'creative' can people get, really?

Oh right, we're talking about the people who invented

Picture curtesy of Google Images
-.-

Consequently, people probably see swear words as a group of words which help ease whatever stress has been building up inside of them.

Through a slightly-less-than-thorough survey, the results show that out of a class with 34 students, 90% swear because they're angry and find that swearing helps dispose - or otherwise control - their anger.

A smaller percentage use it because they find it cool. Some also use swear words to describe how they're feeling. Not as in anger. Apparently, you can use it in any other situation too. You can even use 'fuck' when you're hungry and say: I'm so f*cking hungry!!

O.O

It just feels good to swear, I think, in most people's cases. And while I most likely will not - if not never - understand, I'll just do what I do best when I hear it.

Picture curtesy of Google Images
*          *          *

P/S: Please click on my Nuffnang ads :) Thanks!!

No comments: